Serving on a state board
From time to time when vacancies arise on the boards of Agencies/Bodies under the department’s remit, they will be advertised on the state boards website .
The state boards website offers a single dedicated point of contact to all prospective candidates to express their interest in joining the state boards under the remit of all Government Departments. This portal facilitates:
- the advertising of opportunities to express an interest in state board vacancies and the terms and conditions pertaining to same,
- the registration by prospective Board members of their general interest in a position on a state board and
- the sending of alerts to those registered on the stateboards.ie website of board vacancies as and when they arise.
Prospective applicants should make their applications solely via the state boards website.
That website also has a dedicated e-mail inbox for members of the public who have questions about the process or how to apply: email@example.com.
Guidelines governing appointments to state boards may be found on the website of the Public Appointments Service .
All appointments will be made in accordance with the legislation governing appointments to each body. The Minister will not be restricted to considering only those who have applied under the expression of interest. In considering applications due regard will be given to Government policy on gender balance and diversity on State Boards as set out in the guidelines.
The Code of Practice for the Governance of State Bodies includes a description of the roles and responsibilities of Chairpersons, Boards and Directors.
Boards under the aegis of the Department of Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government are listed below.
- An Bord Pleanála (Members are appointed under Part VI of the Planning and Development Acts 2000-2015).
- Gas Networks Ireland (Members of the board of Gas Networks Ireland are appointed under Section 7(3) of the Gas Regulation Act 2013 and Article 14(2) of the Articles of Association of Gas Networks Ireland).
- Housing and Sustainable Communities Agency
- Housing Finance Agency
- Irish Water (Members of the board of Irish Water are appointed under Article 19.2(a) of the Articles of Association of Irish Water).
- Irish Water Safety
- Local Government Management Agency
- National Oversight and Audit Commission. The establishment of the NOAC is part of the reform process legislated for by the Local Government Reform Act 2014.
- National Traveller Accommodation Consultative Committee.
- Pyrite Resolution Board
- Residential Tenancies Board
This is the membership of Boards under the aegis of the Department.