Local Authority Employment
Workforce planning and monitoring of staff numbers:
The Department is responsible for workforce planning for the local government sector, including monitoring of local government sector employment levels. For up-to-date numbers working in the Local Authority sector please follow this link to the Databank of the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform.
This databank provides access to the following information from 1980 onwards:
- Public Service Staff Numbers
- Numbers of staff employed in each sector
Qualifications for Local Authority Employees:
Under Section 160 of the Local Government Act 2001 (as amended), the Minister is responsible for setting and declaring qualifications for employees in local authorities.
A project is currently underway to review of all qualifications for the sector. When new or revised qualifications are declared, they will be made available to view and download from this page.
The review involves liaising with (amongst others) sectoral groups, regulatory and professional bodies and public sector unions.
Set out below are recently declared qualifications for the following business functions:
- Architectural Services in Local Authorities
- Building Surveyor Services in Local Authorities
- Information Services in Local Authorities
- Legal Services in Local Authorities
- Library Services in Local Authorities
- National qualifications not common to all Local Authorities
- Park Services in Local Authorities