When fire breaks out, it can spread quickly. The family needs to act quickly. Preparation can save valuable seconds. A rehearsed fire escape drill can make all the difference.
Your Fire Drill at a Glance
- What do we do when the smoke alarm sounds?
- Practice the plan until perfected.
- Close all doors behind you as you leave.
- The stairs are your primary escape route – keep them clear.
- If your clothes catch fire – "Stop, Drop and Roll".
- Do not re-enter the house for any reason "Get Out and Stay Out!".
- Phone the fire brigade from outside.
- Decide on a meeting point outside the house near where the fire brigade is likely to arrive.
If you are prevented from leaving by smoke, heat or fire:
- Seal off the spaces in the door openings with sheets or clothing or a sheet to stop smoke from entering.
- Always keep down on the floor where the air is cleaner and cooler.
- Go to the window, open it and call for help.
- The window may be the quickest and safest way for the fire brigade to rescue you.
Using this information practice the drill every few months with your family.
National Directorate for Fire and Emergency Management
The Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government
Thank you for helping us to improve housing.gov.ie
The Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government requires customers to provide certain personal data in order to carry out our legislative and administrative functions. The Department will treat all information and personal data that you provide as confidential, in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation and Data Protection legislation. Personal data may be exchanged with other Government Departments, local authorities, agencies under the aegis of the Department, or other public bodies, in certain circumstances where this is provided for by law.
The Department's Data Protection Policy and Privacy Statements, which set out how we will use your personal data, as well as providing information regarding your rights as a data subject, are available on the Department’s website. They are also available in hard copy upon request from the Data Protection Officer, Department of Housing, Planning abd Local Government, Newtown Road, Wexford, email email@example.com.