Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Consent Project Types

This article was last reviewed 4 years 8 months ago
It is due for its next review in 0 sec

The following is an indicative list of the types of projects that require a foreshore consent (lease or licence) from the Minister.

All offshore energy related developments, including Oil, Gas, Wind, Wave Tidal Energy

  • Pipelines
  • Interconnectors
  • Site investigations
  • Wave monitoring buoy
  • Construction of wind turbines and associated development
  • Monitoring equipment
  • Deployment of Wave Energy Converters

Aggregrate and mineral extraction development on the foreshore

  • Extraction of sand
  • Extraction of gravel, minerals

Coastal Zone Management (apart from coastal protection and coastal flooding)

  • Reclamation of foreshore
  • Licence to harvest wild seaweed
  • Works to remove or deal with hazards on foreshore
  • Beach nourishment works
  • Sewerage works

Port companies and harbour authorities governed by the Harbour Acts

  • Construction of quay storage facility
  • Berth extension for port company
  • Marina development
  • Reclamation works
  • Port extension

Any other harbour or harbour related developments intended for commercial trade

  • Redevelopment of pier
  • Harbour extension
  • Discharge/Outfall pipes
  • Roads & access works on the foreshore Marinas, berthing and associated works

Please note that this is an indicative list only and is not exhaustive.  Any person proposing to undertake works or an activity on the foreshore should contact the Marine Planning and Foreshore Section  in advance to ascertain if foreshore consent is required.

Sub topic 

Was this page helpful?

Thank you for helping us to improve

Data Protection

The Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government requires customers to provide certain personal data in order to carry out our legislative and administrative functions. The Department will treat all information and personal data that you provide as confidential, in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation and Data Protection legislation. Personal data may be exchanged with other Government Departments, local authorities, agencies under the aegis of the Department, or other public bodies, in certain circumstances where this is provided for by law. 

The Department's Data Protection Policy and Privacy Statements, which set out how we will use your personal data, as well as providing information regarding your rights as a data subject, are available on the Department’s website.  They are also available in hard copy upon request from the Data Protection Officer, Department of Housing, Planning abd Local Government, Newtown Road, Wexford, email