Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Access to Information on the Environment (AIE) - Making a Request

This article was last reviewed 3 years 8 months ago
It is due for its next review in 0 sec

How do I make an AIE request

Applications for Access to Information on the Environment should be made to:

Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government
Newtown Rd
Y35 AP90

When making a request for information under the Access to Information on the Environment Regulations you are required to:

  • state that the application is being made under the AIE Regulations and submit it in writing or electronic form (
  • provide your contact details
  • state, in terms that are as specific as possible, the environmental information required, and specify the form and manner of access desired

Normally you will be notified of the decision on your request within 1 month of its receipt.

What can I do if I am unhappy with a decision on my request?

If you consider that your original request for environmental information was refused wholly or partially, or was otherwise not properly dealt with in accordance with the provisions of the AIE Regulations, you may, not later than one month following the receipt of the decision from the Department, request that the Department carry out an internal review of the decision in part or in whole.

No fee will be charged for the internal review process.

A written outcome of the review informing you of the decision, the reason for the decision and advising you of your right of appeal to the Commissioner for Environmental Information, including the time limits and fees associated with such an appeal, will be issued to you within one month of the date of receipt of the request.


As provided for in the AIE Regulations, there is no initial fee required when lodging a request for information under AIE to this Department.  A public authority may however, charge a reasonable fee for the cost of supplying environmental information in accordance with the Regulations.

Details of charges, if any, will be advised in the final decision letter.

Assistance in making requests

If you have any queries AIE Unit can be contacted by:-

Phone at +353 (0)53 911 7454 (Anthony Dowd) or +353 (0)53 911 7397 (June Flood), +353 (0)53 911 7410 (Deirdre Howlin), +353 (0)53 911 7551 (Joanne Kenny).
Email at

Information point

This website is an information point for the purpose of the AIE Directive.  If you require further environmental information than that which is provided on the website, you may submit an AIE request or contact the AIE Unit, as outlined above. 


Was this page helpful?

Thank you for helping us to improve

Data Protection

The Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage requires customers to provide certain personal data in order to carry out our legislative and administrative functions. The Department will treat all information and personal data that you provide as confidential, in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation and Data Protection legislation. Personal data may be exchanged with other Government Departments, local authorities, agencies under the aegis of the Department, or other public bodies, in certain circumstances where this is provided for by law. 

The Department's Data Protection Policy and Privacy Statements, which set out how we will use your personal data, as well as providing information regarding your rights as a data subject, are available on the Department’s website.  They are also available in hard copy upon request from the Data Protection Officer, Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage, Newtown Road, Wexford, email