Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Improvement Works in place of Local Authority Housing

Under this scheme, the local authority may improve or extend a privately owned house to eliminate defects or to provide additional accommodation where it is necessary to eliminate overcrowding or to accommodate a person not at present residing in the house. The scheme can also be availed by local authority tenants, tenant purchasers or certain voluntary housing tenants who move to a privately owned house requiring improvement works. The scheme does not apply to improvements to private rented houses.

The carrying out of the works must satisfy the housing needs of the household and result in their removal from the housing waiting list. Persons benefiting under the scheme are required to pay a weekly or monthly charge related to their means and the cost of the works carried out by the local authority.

Sub topic 

Was this page helpful?

Thank you for helping us to improve

Data Protection

The Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government requires customers to provide certain personal data in order to carry out our legislative and administrative functions. The Department will treat all information and personal data that you provide as confidential, in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation and Data Protection legislation. Personal data may be exchanged with other Government Departments, local authorities, agencies under the aegis of the Department, or other public bodies, in certain circumstances where this is provided for by law. 

The Department's Data Protection Policy and Privacy Statements, which set out how we will use your personal data, as well as providing information regarding your rights as a data subject, are available on the Department’s website.  They are also available in hard copy upon request from the Data Protection Officer, Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government, Newtown Road, Wexford, email