Social Housing Current Expenditure Programme (SHCEP)
Social Housing Current Expenditure Programme
The Department operates the Social Housing Current Expenditure Programme (SHCEP). The programme was formerly known as the Social Housing Leasing Initiative.
SHCEP supports the delivery of social housing by providing financial support to local authorities and Approved Housing Bodies (AHBs) for the long term leasing of houses and apartments from private owners and developers. Properties made available under the programme are used to accommodate households from local authority waiting lists. Leased properties are allocated to tenants, in accordance with the relevant local authority's allocation scheme.
Under SHCEP local authorities enter into long-term lease agreements with property owners, AHBs and NAMA to secure units for social housing purposes. Leasing payments are made directly to the property owner for the duration of the agreement. Properties are sourced in a number of ways including:
- Local Authority sourced units - leased or rented from private property owners under long term leases (10 - 20 years) or Rental Arrangements (up to 10 years);
- Approved Housing Body sourced units - leased for periods of 10 to 30 years. AHBs can source properties by direct leasing from property owners, or lease units within their own ownership to local authorities.
How to apply: Property owners interested in pursuing these options can register their interest by contacting the local authority in whose area the property is situated. Alternatively property owners may wish to discuss leasing options with Approved Housing Bodies (AHBs).
Repair and Leasing Scheme (RLS)
Capital Advance Leasing Facility (CALF) for AHBs
The Department offers financial support to AHBs in the form of a long term loan under the Capital Advance Leasing Facility (CALF) to assist with the financing of the construction or acquisition of units that will be provided for social housing use. This loan facility can support up to 30% of the eligible capital cost of the project, where the units will be provided under long-term lease arrangements (and funded by the SHCEP) to local authorities for social housing use.
How to apply: AHBs wishing to avail of CALF funding must apply directly to the Department having first consulted with the relevant local authority.
- The best source of information for AHBs regarding CALF is online through the Housing Agency and the Housing Manual . The manual is regularly updated and has a section which deals with P&A and CALF. Log-in details are required, however registration for AHBs is quite simple.
- Further information on CALF is available from the Housing Agency (Phone: +353(0)1 656 4100).
- Statistical information on the delivery of housing supports.