EIA Portal - Information for Competent Authorities
Information for Competent Authorities (where applicant has previously notified the EIA Portal of the application)
These instructions apply to applications for development consent accompanied by-
- an Environmental Impact Assessment Report (EIAR), and
- confirmation notice that the specified information provided by the applicant has been uploaded to the EIA Portal.
and where the applicant is required under the relevant legislation to send notification to the EIA Portal.
Once a file register reference number has been assigned to the application, and information on the application has been made available on the competent authority’s website to facilitate public access to the application, associated documents and information on the application process, please send the following information to EIAPortal@housing.gov.ie
- A copy of the confirmation notice from the EIA Portal to the applicant that the specified information has been placed on the EIA Portal (this is to assist the EIA Portal administrator identify the correct application);
- The file register reference number;
- The URL to link to the application documents. This should be to the page listing (with clickable links) all documents associated with the application, or as close to this page as possible.
Information for Competent Authorities (where applicant has not previously notified the EIA Portal of the application)
These instructions apply to applications for development consent where the applicant is not required under the relevant legislation to send notification to the EIA Portal, which are accompanied by
- an Environmental Impact Assessment Report (EIAR), and
- a confirmation notice that the specified information provided by the applicant has been uploaded to the EIA Portal.
and where the Competent Authority is required under the relevant legislation to send notification to the EIA Portal. As early as possible after receipt of an application for any form of development consent accompanied by an Environmental Impact Assessment Report (EIAR), you must notify the Portal about receipt of that application, and provide information on the proposed development for inclusion on the EIA Portal. This notification and information should be provided in line with the procedures and process for the type of development consent for which you are applying
Competent Authorities should download and complete the form here, giving details of
- the Applicant’s name;
- Competent Authority’s email address (to facilitate queries and return of confirmation of receipt of required information) and contact phone number:- neither email or phone number will be published on the EIA Portal;
- the location of the proposed development. You will be limited to 256 characters when filling in this field on the form. If the full address exceeds this limit, for instance if the development extends over a number of townlands or has frontage onto a number of roads, please describe the location by reference to a nearby town or village. The full address of the proposed development will be visible in the copy of the public notice that will be on the EIA Portal;
- a description of the development. You will also be limited to 256 characters when filling in this field. If the full description exceeds this limit, please describe the development in a manner that will enable the public to understand in general terms the proposed development. The full details of the proposed development will be visible in the copy of the public notice that will be on the EIA Portal;
- the competent authority to which the application is being made. Where it is necessary to apply for development consent requiring EIA to more than one competent authority (for example planning permission and a licence from the Environmental Protection Agency), separate notification to the EIA Portal will be required for each application. Separate notification will be required even where applications for consent are being made simultaneously
- the relevant Competent Authority Reference i.e. the unique file reference number assigned to the application by the competent authority which identifies the application
- a URL link to the relevant file and/or information about the application available on the competent authority website, and
- where applicable, a URL link to any documents (including the Environmental Impact Assessment Report) associated with the application on the relevant website, if such documents are not already available on the competent authority website through the URL link provided under “Link to Application” above
- select “Yes” or “No”, as appropriate, for linear developments. Typically, this will be for a road, electricity transmission cable, pipeline or similar. Where a development has a distinct linear element (for example a site-specific development with an associated linear element), select “Yes”.
All sections of the application form must be completed in full.
When completed, please save the form, noting the file name and its location. Once completed and saved, the form must be submitted to the Department, attached to an email to EIAPortal@housing.gov.ie. Please include “EIA Notification” in the subject line of the email. Please ensure that the form is accompanied by the following documents:
- a searchable electronic copy of the proposed newspaper notice (such as a searchable PDF file). The notice must be the public notice published or intended to be published in a newspaper to meet the public notice requirements under the legislation governing the development consent procedure governing the application. This will be placed on the EIA Portal, and
- a site location map to assist the EIA Portal administrator to accurately locate the proposed development on the EIA Portal. The location map must be of sufficient size and contain details of features in the vicinity to facilitate the identification of the site. It must be marked so as to identify clearly the land or structure to which the application relates, showing the boundaries in red. It should be to a scale of not less than 1:1,000 in built up areas and 1:2,500 in all other areas (with the scale identified). Where a site map to the correct scale is inconvenient to identify the location of the proposed development, please contact the EIA Portal to agree an appropriate scale. The site map will not be placed on the EIA Portal. The site location map file should be in PDF format.
The overall size limit for the email and attachments is 18MB.
You will receive an automatically generated acknowledgement email from EIAPortal@housing.gov.ie following receipt of the EIA notification by the Department.
If you do not receive this automatic acknowledgement, please ensure that the overall file size is within the permitted size limit. If problems persist, please contact the EIA Portal administrator at the contacts listed below.
Within 3 working days of submitting the EIA Notification i.e. completed form, public notice and site map, you will receive by Email either:
- A confirmation notice that the EIA notification has been successfully included on the EIA Portal.
- A request for further clarification or information from the EIA Portal administrator regarding the notification
The information uploaded to the EIA Portal will be viewable on the site from the time of issue of the confirmation notice.
What happens next?
Please note that no further information will be added to the EIA Portal and the initial notification will not be updated with information on the application such as any decision, further information, withdrawal or invalidation of the application. Information as the application progresses should be available on the relevant competent authority’s website.
Contact detail for the EIA Portal administrator:
Email address: EIAPortal@housing.gov.ie
Phone number: 01 8882873