One day / short term events guide
Events and activities such as horseracing, tag rugby and filming on the foreshore require a licence under section 3(3) of the Foreshore Act. Any such activities may also be subject to any bye-laws in place for the location concerned.
Pre-application, consultation and preparation
A pre-application consultation with the Marine Planning and Foreshore Section is required. In general, consultation over the phone and or by email will suffice. Depending on the nature, scale and location of the activity wider consultations may be required.
The local Garda Síochána and Local Authority should also be consulted as certain permissions, detailed below, are also required.
List of documentation required to support application
- Completed application form which must have the applicant’s original signature
- Ordnance Survey Map of 6” scale (latest edition) with the precise location of the proposed short duration event clearly marked on the Map in a distinctive colour (3 copies)
- Confirmation in writing from An Garda Síochána that they have no objection to the short duration event taking place.
- Confirmation in writing from the Local Authority that they have no objection to the short duration event taking place.
- A letter from the Local Authority confirming if an Event Licence is required. If an Event Licence is required, a copy of the licence should be attached to the Foreshore licence application.
- A copy of an Insurance Certificate confirming that adequate insurance is in place for the proposed short duration event. The copy Insurance Certificate must state that both the Minister for Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government and the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform are indemnified against any claims.
- Pre-application consultation correspondence.
Review of application
The application will be reviewed by the Marine Planning and Foreshore Section. Where a licence is granted, site/activity specific conditions will attach to the licence.
Charges / Fees
Generally a nominal licence fee of 127 euro applies (635.00 euro for 5 year licences). An invoice will issue to successful applicants if approved. (Please note that this application fee may be subject to review).
Planning permission is not required for short duration events.
A public consultation process is not required.
Form of consent
Thank you for helping us to improve housing.gov.ie
The Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government requires customers to provide certain personal data in order to carry out our legislative and administrative functions. The Department will treat all information and personal data that you provide as confidential, in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation and Data Protection legislation. Personal data may be exchanged with other Government Departments, local authorities, agencies under the aegis of the Department, or other public bodies, in certain circumstances where this is provided for by law.
The Department's Data Protection Policy and Privacy Statements, which set out how we will use your personal data, as well as providing information regarding your rights as a data subject, are available on the Department’s website. They are also available in hard copy upon request from the Data Protection Officer, Department of Housing, Planning abd Local Government, Newtown Road, Wexford, email email@example.com.